Wednesday, July 29

Cheryl Calvin + The Store in Lake Highlands...

Name: Cheryl Lindley Calvin
Shop Name:The Store in Lake Highlands
Website:
http://www.thestoreinlh.com/

If you live in Lake Highlands you must know about The Store in Lake Highlands. I am so excited to spread the word about their amazing(must see)expansion. I was blown away, and am super anxious to see the finished space at the end of August. The Store has always been a favorite of mine for those last minute birthday gifts and wonderful unique creative finds that you can only find in a small boutique store like Cheryl Lindley's Store in Lake Highlands! Well...not so small anymore, pretty huge actually! Cheryl was kind enough to do a little interview with us for our Lake Highlands Community. Thanks Cheryl for being with us today!

So tell us a little us bit about your business and how it got started? My mom had a store in Salado, TX. I was the buyer for her store and went to market with her and helped in the store on BIG weekends. Allison and Gregg had reached Elementary school, I thought I needed something to do. So I considered opening my own store. When friends found out they encouraged me to open The Store, since Lake Highlands desperately needed small stores. I guess you could say "the rest is history".

Could you have imagined having this business turn into what it has over the last 7 years with the expansion and all your new products you are carrying? The Store is doing really well right now. I had hoped to do this well, but is always a happy surprise when your hopes become reality.

How would you describe in one simple sentence what you sell in your store? We sell sophisticated clothing and gifts you want to give and receive.

I know you carry a store full of everything. All of it is so fun and I would say more on the creative side. I noticed a few local vendors have displays in your store. Is this something you are always trying to find for new things? I am always looking for the "next thing" to have in The Store. Sometimes I find things at market and some are local, like BOYMOM designs tshirts.



Where do you go for inspiration? I attend the Vera Bradley Premiere each year. They provide lots of details about the market and they are lots of fun, too.

What are 3 things you have to have in your work space? telephone (it always seems to be for me), very large inbox, and a shredder/recycling box.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years from now? Shane and I running The Store and hopefully children in college about to be out on there own.

When are you expecting to open the new expansion side of your store? Do you have an expected deadline for completion? I think we will be able to start rearranging The Store sometime the end of July. I have order some new items to arrive around August 1st. So we plan to have an Open House the last weekend of August the 28th and 29th.


What is your favorite item you have ever sold in the store? I love Trollbeads, (I wear 2 bracelets everyday) and Vera Bradley is such bright colors, it is fun to sell.


The expansion is going to give you the opportunity to do some new things with the additional space....what are most excited about? I am most exited about getting some "breathing room" we were a little tight in some areas. Vera Bradley will be expanding, we are adding a Lake Highlands/Collegiate/Sorority section, and the body care line, Thymes. I also have been asked over the years for "petite clothing" so we are in the process of finding items to add that section to the store.

Being in retail is a way of life...how is your family involved in the your business? My husband, Shane, is the financial guy. We both have accounting degrees but I let him handle the CFO responsibilities. He would also tell you he is the "trash man". Our daughter, Allison, has started working occasionally, since we have Vera Bradley. Our son, Gregg, just likes to stop in and say "hi".

Did your mom teach you the business? My mom had a store in Salado, Texas, but I was actually the one to inspire her to open her store. I worked at The Limited in high school and college. Later, when she wanted to open a store in Salado, I helped her with all her buying.


Tell us one thing about you that we don't know:
If I didn't have The Store I wish I had pursed singing Christian music. I always have on KLTY in the store and I sing on the worship team at our church.


Thank you so much again for being here today Cheryl and sharing these wonderful bits and pieces of you and the threads behind your magical store.


Cheryl Calvin owner, The Store in Lake Highlands Mon. - Sat. 9:30am - 5:30pm 214-553-8850


No comments: