Friday, July 3

LH Home Tour: Debra


What do you do with your time(job,daily activities)? Where do I start? I own a small graphic design studio (http://www.irisdesigngroup.com/). I am a partner in an online stationary business (http://www.inkchic.com/). I am also a partner in The Cake Ball Company (http://www.cakeballs.com/). And, most importantly, I am the mother of a wonderful 5 year old. Needless to say, I am pretty busy.

What is your favorite color? As a designer, I love green (specifically Kelly green). As an individual, my favorite color has always been light blue.

Up to this point what has been your biggest design challenge in your home? My biggest design challenge is not knowing where to start. I also have a tendency to do so much research where I get a ton of ideas, but in the process get overwhelmed and give-up. I have heard this is a trait of an artist. I'm not sure that this is the case, but it sounds like a good excuse to me.

Does a budget have a big play in how you decorate your home? Yes, budget is huge for me. I, like the majority of the country, have felt the hit of the economy. So, now when I look for inspiration, I look in different places. I'm also inspired by different things than in previous years. I am really trying to get back to basics. Simple is better. What I can't afford, I just don't need.

What is your favorite detail of your home if you could only pick one? I have this creepy portrait of a lady that I purchased at an auction in Michigan for $35.00. I love it for so many reasons. The detail of the painting is amazing. The colors the artist has chosen are perfect. But, I love it mostly because the woman in the painting looks like she has experienced so much in her lifetime and the painting is a small window to her soul.

Do you have any design projects for 2009? If so what are they? I want to create a playroom for my daughter. I want it to be a space that we work on together and create memories in.

Who do you look to for inspiration? I love to find inspiration in everyday objects, such as a coffee cup stain on a white table.

Do you have kids, if so how many? I have one. A wonderful, creative daughter named Avery. She is five.

Please share with us how you have made your home more comfortable for your kids? I work from home and many times my work requires me to work nights and weekends. Mostly, I try to work after Avery goes to bed, but there are times where I can't. So, I try to make my office "Avery" friendly, and I'll ask her to help me with my work. I have a chalk-board wall in my office and a craft closet full of activities. I give her a project that relates to what I am doing on the computer, and she thinks she is going to work with Mom. That way it is fun for both of us and I don't have to miss a precious moment with her.

Tell us one thing we don't know about you, anything: I am overly obsessed with magazines. I love to look at them, and I have a hard time throwing them away. The funny thing is that I never read an article. I just look at the pictures. It's a good thing that I am an art director and not a writer.
* Don't forget about The Lake Highlands 4th of July parade at 9 am tomorrow on Church Road!

No comments: