Friday, June 19

LH Home Tour: Angela

What do you do with your time(job,daily activities)?
I am employed by Knoll, which is what I consider the next best thing to running my own business, since they are such an entrepreneurial company with a huge focus on design. I promote our products to the Architecture & Design community as well as the Health care market segment. Knoll is a furniture manufacturer with a rich heritage in design. I am surrounded by beautiful, thoughtfully designed products and amazing people who are passionate about good design. For over 70 years, Knoll has manufactured products that endure. Good design to Knoll is not just a beautiful piece of furniture or textile but a piece that will function well for the user, complement the architecture of the space, exhibit a timeless essence, make good use of recyclable content and be environmentally sustainable. The most exciting part of my day, however, is picking my kids up from school and playing soccer in the backyard, doing art projects or just learning about their day.

What is your favorite color?
Blue

Up to this point what has been your biggest design challenge in your home?
Finding the right chairs to go with my Saarinen dining table in my kitchen. My husband is not crazy about it, to say the least. I can completely see it making him happy some day if I could just find the right chairs...not too modern, not too traditional.

Does a budget have a big play in how you decorate your home?
Definitely...there are many things on my "wish list" for my home, that we just can't afford to do yet. I usually won't buy anything that I'm not just crazy about. So I do without for a long time and one by one, buy the things I want. That's why none of my dining chairs match. I have one antique chair that I love (they only had one, but I had to have it) and hope to have others made someday to match or find other unique antique chairs that will complement it.I also love to take advantage of my kids' free artwork. I pay them in kisses!

What is your favorite detail of your home if you could only pick one?
The open floor plan. I can be cooking in the kitchen and see my kids playing in the playroom.

Do you have any design projects for 2009? If so what are they?
I have designed my Studio/Garage, but I doubt it will actually be built in 2009...the whole budget thing. I am also helping my mom with a small redesign of her kitchen. I do plan to purge, simplify & become much more organized. (Huh...none of these projects pay anything, do they?!)

Who do you look to for inspiration?
My dad is an amazing inspiration, who by the way does not have a design sensitive bone in his body. He has an amazing work ethic and great determination and has a very successful company that he started with nothing 35 years ago. He also never loses sight of what is most important in life.Do you have kids, if so how many?I have 2 wonderful little boys, ages 5 & 7...completely full of energy.

Please share with us how you have made your home more comfortable for your kids?
I try to keep things accessible for them...keep the books they love to read on their lower bookshelves, keep their dishes in the big bottom drawer in the kitchen. I engage them in the design of their rooms. I try to provide a space that makes them smile or that provokes memories of fun things we've done together as a family.
Tell us one thing we don't know about you, anything:
I find it impossible to sit still.
*Don't forget it's Father's Day this Sunday! I am still trying to figure out what I am getting. Any last minute fabulous ideas? I'm thinking Cake Balls from The Cake Company. Looking for something extra to do this weekend Gals, you may want to stop by Boutique de Garage's Upscale flea market with discounted designer clothes, shoes, and bags +revamped vintage furniture + home accessories. Sat., 10 a.m.-5 p.m. @5431 W. University Blvd. We... are laying low this weekend, and will have the sprinkler turned on at our house for some summer fun with our kids! Embrace the heat..and enjoy Lake Highlands.

No comments: